The first European settlers landed in the Province of Maryland on March 25, 1634 and we are still celebrating this amazing state each year on this anniversary. Squisito Franchise Enterprises and the Monte Restaurant Development Group are headquartered in Annapolis, and we could not be prouder to call Maryland our home!
Squisito was first opened in 1998 in Chester, Maryland on the Eastern shore. Since then we have grown across the state and into Northern Virginia. Today there are Squisito Pizza & Pasta locations in Severna Park, Annapolis, Glen Burnie, Ellicott City, and Queenstown, Maryland in addition to our NOVA Squisito’s! We have always been focused on supporting our local community and have become a staple in the Maryland pizza scene.
Our founder, Gennaro DiMeo, has successfully brought the traditional, authentic flavors of Italy to Maryland neighborhoods and Squisito has become a favorite among pizza lovers of all ages! Celebrating our headquarters in Maryland here are some fun facts about this amazing state!
- 1. The United States Naval Academy was founded in 1845 in Annapolis. With two restaurants in Annapolis and our corporate headquarters down the road from the academy, we are thrilled to be so close to an incredible school!
- 2. Our nations national anthem was written by Francis Scott Key in Baltimore, MD at Fort McHenry in 1814. It’s a blast hearing this at Camden Yards with the fans famously yelling
- “O” along with the singer to cheer on their Orioles! Fun fact- our very own Marketing & Advertising Manager Victoria McGrath loves singing the national anthem every summer at Camden Yards and has since 2014!
- 3.Babe Ruth was born in Baltimore! Did we mention Maryland loves baseball?
- The Maryland State House is the oldest state capitol still in continuous legislative use. Many of those working in this very house grab a Squisito pizza when heading home to the family!
- 4.One of Maryland’s nicknames is “America in Miniature” because you can find just about any kind of natural feature here, except a desert. We love heading to Deep Creek Lake in the winter to ski and tube at Wisp and drive to Ocean City in the summer for a fun walk along the boardwalk!
- 5. The Baltimore Ravens are named after Edgar Allan Poe’s famous poem, The Raven!
There are so many fun facts about our home state of Maryland, and we are proud to call it home! Throughout the last few decades, Squisito has become a staple and we love our neighborhoods and communities that make up the state of Maryland! Cheers to one of the best holidays of the year.